Friday, October 5, 2012

Come one, come all!! Come and meet Edmund!

The nurse came back at 6am to give me more Motrin (600mg). I also had blood taken out of my right hand to check counts by another nurse. The nurse came to take Edmund at around 7am because Dr. Ged.. was here to see him and check him out. They kept him in the nursery for 2 hours because he was cold. they put him in a warmer to raise his body temperature. Dr. G came to talk with us before he left to say that the baby was fine, but he'd have to do one more check the next day since I tested positive for Group B strep. I mentioned that Edmund spit up quite a bit, and he said that we should monitor it. My breakfast of pancakes, oatmea, milk, and oj came at 8am, and while I was eating, Dr. H came to see if we had any questions. She said that she'd be back in the morning to check me before we went home. Dennis then decided to go home to shower, change and get some breakfast, since all I offered him was the 2 sausage links from my plate at around 8:15am. I went to get Edmund shortly before 9am. We tried breastfeeding again, but he wasn't interested. At 9:10am, the nurse, Andrea, came in and gave me an iron pill because I lost lots of blood and a colase pill (stool softner). Andrew and my mom came to visit around 10am. Andrew was excited to meet his new, little brother. He wanted to hold him right away, which he did before my mother got her turn. They both brought him some presents as well. Next, came Kenneth and his girlfriend Maria. They arrived just after 12noon with Dennis. I had just finished my lunch of a grilled cheese, garlic bread stick, dinner roll, side salad, green beans, milk and lemonade. Hello carbs!!! They both were really excited to hold the baby. You could tell that they hadn't had much exposure to a newborn, so I think that made the experience much more special for them. It was really nice for them to be here at the time of his birth. Nurse Andrea came then with a Motrin for my pain as well. I also ate a pear that Dennis had brought from home. It is uncanny how much of an appetite one has when in the hospital. I think maybe having a baby had something to do with that! :) When the lady who registers new babies for their social security cards came in, Kenneth and Maria decided to leave. They still had my car, and they were planning on heading to a store or two before going back to the house. This registration lady was really nice and funny. We had a nice time with her. When Angie (Reese), the lactation consultant came in the room, we weren't done registering Edmund, so she said she'd come back. SHe never did, which later irritated me. Just because I already have a child at home doesn't mean that I don't want to visit with the LC. It would have been nice to have the option, at least. Around 3-3:30pm, the hearing test lady came. Edmund passed the test on both ears. Afterwards, I was finally able to breadfeed Edmund. We all (Dennis, Edmund and I) took a nap after that. It was well-needed, since I didn't sleep much the night before. Dennis left to go to dinner with his brother and Maria. It didn't seem right for them to just sit at our house for days until we came home from the hospital. We really wanted them to have the experience of going to Texas Roadhouse, a real cowboy restaurant, since Maria had never been in the US before. My dad showed up 25 minutes later and so did my supper. I knew that my dad came to the hospital straight from work, so I tried to share my supper with him. I figured that he was starving too. They brought me a hummus wrap that was cut in two, so I gave my dad the other half. There was also bread pudding and a dinner roll. Dad stayed and held Edmund until 10 minutes to 7pm. Then he left to go home. Kim and her two boys showed up at about quarter after 7pm. The boys had a boy scout meeting after school, so they came to see us just after that. Ayden was stand-off -ish, but Alek was "in your face." I could tell that they both liked him a lot. My Dennis showed up at about 7:45pm, and my brother-in-law Dennis showed up at about 8pm or so. He just drove back from seeing a dying friend in Kentucky. He stayed for about 15-20 minutes after Kim and the boys left, but he left at 9pm when 2 new nurses, Rose and Michelle came in to check my vitals, leges, feet, blood pressure, belly and baby. Everything checked out find. They took Edmund to do a pulse oxygen test and then brought him back to do a blood test. They wanted to do the blood test out of the room as well, but I wanted everything that could be done in the room to be done in the room in my presence. Dennis, Edmund, and I went to sleep after I breastfed and was given a stool softner and Pertussis vaccine at 10pm. At 11:45pm, Edmund woke up for a diaper change, which I did myself, and I also fed him. It felt more natural now to be his mom. I was getting ready to go home. Hopefully, we wouldn't have to stay too long tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment